Wednesday, September 10, 2014

[Dessert Theory]: Mousse

Mousse is probably my second most favourtie dessert that I'd usually never turn down. Usually, if creme brulee isn't on the dessert menu and mousse is, I'd definitely choose it. If a DILEMMA occurs and BOTH items are on the menu? Well... all I can say is that I'd be trying my hardest to work it all off in the next few weeks. 

Mousse is another dessert that I found to also come in two different forms : light and foamy or firm and dense. I was really eager to find out why they were different and how they came to be. 

So apparently the literal meaning of mousse means 'foam', no wonder why it's made to be light and foamy. 

[Sweet] mousse usually comes in TWO forms. I say sweet mousse here, because mousse can also come in a savoury version.
You'll either get the really lightly whipped and foamy kind, or the slightly firmer and dense kind, but with that said, a level of light foam texture is still maintained. This means that either way, mousse is SUPPOSED to have air bubbles inside.

After doing a little research and some reading, I've found a few possibilities to why some mousses are so light, but some are dense. Light airy mousse is made with very few simple ingredients as opposed to dense mousse which contains more ingredients and a longer, careful process. Here are some common possibilities for DENSE mousse:
  • Over-whipped cream to make it firmer
  • Heavy cream used rather than light cream or milk (which makes a lighter mousse)
  • Stiff egg whites
  • Egg yolks also included
  • Gelatin used for a better stable shape and stand
Those are only a few of the possible reasons, but they look enough. I think basic mousse only uses about three basic ingredients: chocolate, egg whites, and cream whereas, as you can see from that list, two more extra ingredients are added to make it dense.

The production process of the mousse also plays an important role. According to some recipes I skimmed through, a good/prefect mousse is made by FEW BUT CAREFUL methods"
  1. Chocolate is melted completely and smooth
  2. Various liquid ingredients whipped to a medium/stiff peak consistency (this depends whether you want a light or dense mousse)
  3. CAREFUL folding technique of the meringue mixture into the chocolate to avoid deflating the mousse
Dark chocolate mousse seems to be the common flavour, although I have tried white chocolate, and mango. I wonder what other flavours of mousse there are?
Of course, aside from a good mousse, garnishes are also an importance. The aesthetic part is just as important as the texture. Personally, I think RAINBOW SPRINKLES are the best! and can turn anything into something aesthetically pleasing :P 

I wouldn't say there is exactly a RIGHT form, it's all a matter of preference, mine is the dense kind. 

Well anyway, hope this post was somewhat useful and helpful. 
Thanks for stopping by!

The 'Sweet Tooth' Fairy xo