Monday, September 15, 2014

[Dessert Theory]: Gelato

What is the difference between gelato and ice cream?

It's a question that probably commonly pops into our minds here and there at least once.  I know for sure that it was a question that I've thought about and couldn't figure out, but I knew there MUST have been something different about gelato that distinguished it from ordinary ice cream. 
Read on to find out what makes it so unique.

From memory, the gelato hype started in Auckland around 2008-2009. I remember I had no clue what it was or even heard of such a word.
I remember there was one summer while I was still at uni, I popped down to the gelato store for a scoop almost every day after class. With summer feeling like being set on fire, despite the high price, I could not resist the distinctive flavours of the smooth iced cold treat.

So I'm guessing alot of people are like me and wonder what is the exact difference between gelato and ice cream. 
We all know that there is definitely a difference in taste and texture. Here are a few facts I've gathered from sources and a little reading that outlines what makes the two frozen treats so different but I'd say both are equally delish!

Gelato
  • Originated from Italy. Derived from the meaning of 'frozen'
  • Essential Ingredients: milk, sugar, fresh fruit/nut purees
  • Uses stabilising bases such as egg yolks
  • Contains SMALL amount of AIR
  • Production process of churning and freezing is slower thus making it denser in texture
  • Lesser fat content (about 5% to 7%) so flavours are more intense
  • Served at a warmer temperature than ice cream 

 Ice Cream:
  • Mostly frozen water made into smallest ice crystals possible
  • Churning speed is faster which makes it lighter and thinner in texture
  • Potentially melts faster
  • 10% fat content
Aside from those few differences, I guess cost of production would be significant factor. I wouldn't know which costs more to make. 
Ice cream seems to be produced in much larger quantities by big food companies, but the cost for raw ingredients to make gelato are also quite high, thus making it much pricier for one scoop compared to ice cream.

If you ask me, I personally prefer gelato over ice cream. They both equally have their pros and cons but I just tend to like the thicker texture. Plus the idea of it melting slower is something that adds points, and not to mention, all those endless possible flavours!

My MOST FAVOURITE flavour for gelato is Dulce de Leche. If that's not available then I'd usually look for Salted Caramel or Pistachio. As for Ice Cream, I don't think I have a particular favourite, but from what's available, I'd have to say Hokey Pokey is my first choice! 

What's your most favourite flavour for gelato and/or ice cream? And which would you prefer? 

Until next time!

The 'Sweet Tooth' Fairy xo