Sunday, July 6, 2014

Casa del Gelato, Mt Eden Branch

Today's post will feature another gelato shop located in the small Mt Eden village. If it's out of your way to get into the city to try some of the places that I have already posted about, or that you don't quite feel like cake desserts, Casa del Gelato store, Mt Eden branch may be ideal as a stop for a quick scoop  or a sundae cup of gelato.

Before I go on about what I had the day I went, it's best that I briefly introduce the Casa del Gelato franchise. Casa del Gelato is another ice cream store that specilaises in a range of declious flavoured gelato and sorbets.
Currently, they have about 8 branches around Auckland, where each store has their own speciality prodcuts. Having that said, there may be some items that you can find in one branch where you cannot find in another. 

Okay, photo time!


That's the range of gelato and sorbet during the time I went to the Mt Eden branch. I'm not exactly sure whether these flavours are ALL still available, but even if not, I am sure they would have replaced it with another delicious flavour.

[Left]: Pistachio Flavour [Right]: Snickers Bar Flavour
Other than just a scoop or two of gelato served in a cup or cone, Casa del Gelato, Mt Eden offers to transform your gelato into a sundae style. However, as you can see in the photo, these 'sundae' versions of gelato are very ordinary. The options were either to have them served with chocolate sauce and marshmallows or walnuts and marshmallows.
Now that I have tried them served with sauces and toppings, honestly, I don't think I will ever have them served like that again. It was not a good choice made by me. 
The pistachio flavour was rich enough of the roasted nut, and chocolate sauce is just not a flavourful match with it. The Snickers Bar flavour was sweet with bits of finely crushed peanut. 

In my opinion on both the Mt Eden branch and the gelato itself, I don't think this is a place that I would specially make time for. In my thoughts, this is just an ice cream store that offers an 'upgraded' version of ice cream. I can only see myself popping into the store on those days where I am driving through Mt Eden Road and happen to feel like grabbing a cold dairy treat to eat in the car. 
The flavours of the gelato are very good though, especially flavours that you wouldn't commonly see or even think of. My suggestion is to just eat the gelato or sorbet on their own without any toppings and sauces to prevent affecting the unique flavours. 

Other than the gelato and sorbet, Casa del Gelato offers a range of basic espresso coffees, and a few speciality gelato based drinks. 

The Mt Eden Branch is located on:
416 Mt Eden Road
Mt Eden
Auckland
Phone: (09) 630 7850
Website: http://www.casadelgelato.co.nz/
Opening Hours: Contact store.


Happy Sunday! 

The 'Sweet Tooth' Fairy xo