Friday, July 11, 2014

Delectable Desserts, Elliot Stables

The more I blog, the more I think about it, Auckland city is really a place filled with a diverse range of everything. It's really nice to think and know the level of diversity and multiculturalism that exists. 
Because of this, a range of ethnic and authentic foods become available to us. Today's post talks about a dessert cafe at Elliot Stables that shows a high level of ethnicity and authenticity in their shop and desserts.
 
Elliot Stables in Auckland is a medium section off Elliot Street that is a "distinctive marketplace" that closely resembles European interiors. Most people that walk inside say that they feel like they are in Europe. Inside, you will find a range of European style bars, restaurants, and delicatessen stores. (You can click on their link for more information: http://www.elliottstables.co.nz/).

Delectable Desserts is a very special store located in the corner inside Elliot Stables which shouldn't be too hard to spot. The cafe offers quite a number of European desserts, as well as hot coffee and milkshakes. Just a heads up, they've cleverly named all their desserts after famous European artists but have provided a clear description next to each dessert name so people don't become too confused.  I've only been there twice so far and tried about three things, let's take a look!

"Da Vinchi" aka Creme Brulee
I think I have blogged about two creme brulees from different places so far, and I am definitely going to try more from other places in the future. The creme brulee at Delectable Desserts was actually the first creme brulee I had. Since then I was quite enticed to try other creme brulees from anywhere available. From all the creme brulees I have tried so far, this one from Delectable Desserts is by far the BEST one I've had!
When the plate was served, at first I thought it was a small portion and not quite worth its price. If you're the type that thinks like me, then this would prove your wrong. As seen in the photo, the brulee was served in a square ramekin of which I would say was medium sized. The caramalised sugar on top was perfect. It was caramalised enough to get the slightly burnt toffee taste, and at the same time it was thin enough to be cracked with a small teaspoon on the first go. Underneath the crispy clear toffee sugar layer sits a much still cream custard. Some creme brulees are made to be more creamy and runny in texture while some lean towards the firmer side. This creme brulee was much firmer but very smooth and melts in your mouth with a rich custard and cream taste without being too sweet. Even writing about it makes my mouth water.

"Degas" aka Lemon Tart
Personally, I am not quite a fan of these lemon citrus tarts. When it comes to citrus flavours, I tend to favour them to come in the form of iced drinks for summer. With that being said, I only had a small taste of this lemon tart. The composition of this was quite simple: a thin baked flour base, lemon filling, and then topped with a light and white meringue garnished with some passion fruit sauce on the side. With a simple composition, comes a simple taste, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes things are better when they are simple. From what I remember, this had a very citrus sour taste with a hint of sweet to it with the meringue being light and soft. Its an ideal choice for those who don't favour extreme sweet foods and would prefer something more fruity rather than creamy. 


"Gauguin" aka Chocolate Mousse
Aside from creme brulees, I'd say that my second most favourite type of dessert would be chocolate mousse. I don't think I would ever say no or turn it down when I see it listed on the dessert menu of any restaurant. After all, it's chocolate, what's not to like right? I has anticipated this mousse when I first saw it on the menu, sadly, when I go the actually product it was far from what I had expected. I guess just like creme brulee, mousse also can come in different forms, either firm and dense, or light, whipped, and foamy. If you're like me and love those firm, dense mousses, then this is NOT the mousse for you. It's probably already quite obvious on the photo that this mousse is light and foamy. In my opinion, it was no different than chocolate flavoured cream, that's it. If I had to say something good about it, I guess that would be the fresh strawberries the topped it with.

Just like the store name, Delectable Desserts is indeed a 'delectable' place for both the food, environment, and atmosphere. 
Price range for their desserts are $10 to $15 and drinks are $4 to $6. The shop itself has limited seating so it's not guaranteed you'll always get a seat inside the store. If not, there is always seating in the outside area. If you're every out for a night in the city, this is a great place to try out!

Delectable Desserts is located INSIDE Elliot Stables:
39 Elliot Street
Auckland 1010
Phone: (09) 377 0946
Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delectable-Desserts/303829199631206
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday 12pm to 11pm


Thanks for stopping by!

The 'Sweet Tooth' Fairy xo